01/08/22

Where is your focus?

It is very easy for us to be so caught up in the events of our daily lives – events which can completely capture our thoughts and at times overwhelm us – that our focus is taken off the One on whom we really need to focus.

Oswald Chambers gives good advice in his words: “We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties”.

In Psalm 46:10a (NIV) we are instructed: “Be still and know that I am God”; and 1 Chronicles 22:19a (NIV): “Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the Lord your God”. In the whirlwind of our thoughts, which can arise from anxiety, loss of a loved one, changed circumstances, illness, separation, to name just a few, I have found that there is only One who can really help us and who can give us the right perspective – no matter what the circumstances!

1 Thessalonians 5:16‑18 (NIV) instructs us: “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus”. There is always something for which we can be thankful – no matter how small. It may simply be the God-given ability to hear the sound of a bird singing outside our window, or God’s provision of adequate food and clothing – anything which will lift our thoughts to the Lord.

Perhaps the most difficult things for which to be thankful – but the most valid - would be to give thanks for what God is going to teach us in our hard times; how He is going to help us to mature spiritually; and how He will enable us, by His grace and strength, to bring glory to His name by our display of trust in Him throughout the hard times.

The words in the song “Blessed Be Your Name” by Matt Redman have been an encouragement to me:

Every blessing You pour out I’ll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say
“Blessed be the Name of the Lord!”

Jesus prayed in Luke 22:42 (NIV): “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done”. If I am to follow the example of Jesus, I must pray in this same manner – but it will only be in His strength that I can do this.

The following reading, found in 2 Corinthians 4:16‑18 (NIV), has been an inspiration to me during so many of the hard times in my life. It encourages me to focus on that which is eternal as I go through life’s troubles:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Once my focus is set on the Lord, my circumstances may not change, but my attitude throughout my circumstances does change. All glory be to God for His power to give grace and strength to endure – and not only to endure, but to have the ability to find things for which to be thankful, and to be able to praise Him for whatever good He can bring out of my circumstances – no matter how hard the journey!

“Blessed be the Name of the Lord!”

Robbie Bryant