31/05/22

Identity and Discipleship

“And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.” (2 Timothy 2:2, NIV)

This verse has been one of my life maxims. I have been blessed to have had many people who have entrusted to me the things they learned about following Jesus. One of my greatest pleasures is to witness a number of reliable people in Vanuatu and in Queensland who are now teaching others the ways of Jesus.

Recently I have learned better vocabulary to express this process, and hopefully to better encourage and equip others in practising what I am preaching. At present we are going through the Gospel of Matthew. The last two messages I have preached here have proclaimed what I think are the two most important concepts – IDENTITY and DISCIPLESHIP.

Satan’s temptations of Jesus (Matthew 4) attacked Jesus’ identity, but Jesus could not be moved for He knew He was the loved Son of God. Being sure of our identity as children of God is key to an abundant Christian life. Jesus accomplished all that was necessary to be done for us to be God’s kids, and nothing can separate us from God’s love. I am who God says I am. I am a child of God.

Jesus’ great commission to us was to “make disciples”. We are to be disciples who make disciples. Discipleship is a dynamic process by which a person’s life is radically changed and empowered so that each one can change the world. We are intended to be lifelong learners OF Jesus (learning to become like Him – who He is and what He does) and then pass on what we have learned to others.

JESUS’ INVITATION: “Come follow me.”

JESUS’ CHALLENGE: “I will make you fishers of men.” (This looks different in different seasons of life.)

Pastor Lyall