28/02/17

Putting the memory to good use

Over the last few months, I have been noticing a phrase creeping into the popular programmes I watch on TV or hear on the radio.

The phrase is “back in the day”, meaning “back in the past”. I must be getting old, because I want to say: “Back in the day”, Scripture memorisation was “all the go”!

I was therefore taken aback on Sunday (I have since recovered!) that only one person had heard of TMS, or Topical Memory System, which is a great tool for learning to memorise the Bible.


Right from when I became a Christian “back in the day”, I was always encouraged to memorise the Bible, even though, over the last few years, a little slack. This is where TMS comes in! Having decided to begin to memorise the Bible, TMS gives a great outline on how to go about it.

Having arrived at a verse to memorise, try to categorise it by giving it a topical name; for instance, John 3:16 could be called a Salvation verse. Whenever we memorise John 3:16, say: “Salvation, reference John 3:16”, then the verse. This way, the topical tag as well as the reference should bring the words of Scripture to mind. As we pray over the verses we want to memorise, I believe the Holy Spirit will enable us to achieve this task. Here are some examples:

  • Living the new life: 2 Cor 5:17, Gal 2:20
  • Obedience to Christ: Rom 12:1, John 14:21
  • The Bible: 2 Tim 3:16, Joshua 1:8
  • Forgiveness: 1 John 1:9

As I began writing this “encouragement” to memorise the Bible, my mind brought to my attention Psalm 119:11, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you”.

I believe that was the Holy Spirit reminding me (and now you) of the importance of memorising the Bible. He is able to bring it to remembrance when we need it most!

May God bless you as we walk together.








Pastor Roger